In the internet age, it’s easy to shop for almost anything online, whether it’s household goods, food, clothes or even cars. Wheelchairs are no exception—there are plenty of websites that sell both new and used models. However, as convenient as it is, at our Maryland wheelchair store we think that a wheelchair is something you should buy in person.
Issues With Ordering Wheelchairs Online
- No way to test-drive and try it out
- Costly (and often lengthy) delivery
- Cumbersome returns
- Little to no customer support
How to Shop for a Wheelchair
Whether it’s your first time buying a wheelchair or you need a replacement for your old one, the best way to get the perfect wheelchair is to try it out first in your local Maryland wheelchair store. You already know that comfort and positioning is everything when it comes to wheelchair use. In fact, most wheelchairs may not suit you in their original configuration and may need to be modified with custom leg support, cushions, positioning aids and other accessories. The big advantage of buying from a wheelchair store is that you get a personal assistant who can help you assess your needs and choose the perfect wheelchair and accessories all in one place. It’s easy to get overwhelmed with the wheelchair selection available these days, so a knowledgeable guide is always good to have. If you are in a market for a new wheelchair, here is how you can get started:
- Look up wheelchairs online to get a general feel for different types and features available. We have a brief description of each wheelchair type (manual, power, etc.) on our wheelchairs page.
- If you currently have a wheelchair, think in what ways you wish it was better and make a list of desired features.
- Read our article on 3 considerations for buying a wheelchair and write down your answers to the listed questions.
- Locate a local Maryland wheelchair store you can drive to or someone can take you to. Freedom Mobility is conveniently located in Hanover, MD and is accessible both by car and public transportation.
- Give the wheelchair store a call to make sure they can help you, so that you don’t waste a trip. Have your research findings and your list of features handy to explain what you are looking for.
A big benefit of buying from a local store is that you can call them back any time with any questions. You don’t have to explain your situation again and again to every new customer service rep—your store personnel already knows who you are and how to best assist you. Contact us today if you are interested in visiting our showroom. If we don’t have the type of wheelchair you are looking for in stock, we may be able to order it for you directly from the manufacturer. Call us or contact online with any questions.