It can be challenging to find that perfect gift for everyone on our list. If you just so happen to be shopping to find a gift for a senior friend or family member, then this list is for you. Here is a list of ten gifts your senior friends and family will ACTUALLY want this year.
- Heated Blankets – This is a gift that anyone will enjoy, and a good blanket can cost as low as $40 if you shop around. Be sure to get the right size blanket for their bed, or opt for a simple throw blanket instead.
- Family Photos – This is always a good go-to item, but to really take this gift to the next level make it a digital photo frame. Then, upload a collection of family photos from everyone in your family that the frame will cycle through.
- Something for the Garden – If your senior friend or family loves to garden, get them something to help them do just that. Certain senior mobility items such as a gardening bench or knee pads will help make gardening more enjoyable.
- Bathroom Mobility – Does the senior in your life ever complain about how hard it is to shower? Why not improve their mobility in the shower with a handheld shower! It’s a great gift no matter who you’re shopping for, but for someone who showers sitting down the extra reach a handheld shower provides it very helpful.
- Something for the Birds – If the person you are buying a gift for is a bird-lover, there are plenty of items which could help to attract more birds to their backyard. Might we recommend a bird feeder or a heated bird bath? If they have both, then see what type of birds they like, and buy some quality, weed-free bird seed for them.
- Magnetic Jewelry Clasps – As we get older, our dexterity can go making the small clasps on jewelry hard to use. Go out and get a pack of magnetic necklace clasps as a gift so they can start wearing their old jewelry again! Couple this with a new necklace for a beautiful bundled gift.
- In-Home Safety – Ever notice your elderly friend or family member has trouble walking around their own home? Schedule an appointment with an in-home senior mobility specialist so they can install mobility grab bars for them.
- Gift Cards – Lets face it, sometimes the person you’re trying to buy a gift for has literally everything. Give them a gift card to two of their favorite restaurants; tell them one is for them and whoever they want, but the other is for the two of you to go out to eat together.
- Pay for Services – If the person you’re shopping for doesn’t have the time or energy to keep up with the yard work, then pay for someone to do it for them! Prepay for a spring or fall clean up service for their garden beds or home.
- Games – Certain games like Scrabble or Rummikub are great gifts for people of all ages. Attach a note or card saying you want to come over a game night as well for a personal touch.
Freedom Mobility Solutions’ home care aids can help people age in place safely by offering mobility options for seniors anywhere in their home. For more information on Freedom Mobility Solutions, or if you’d like to discuss options to increase your elderly family member or friend’s in-home mobility, contact us today.